Thursdays at 8 pm in Jefferson Hall
Join us for engaging literary presentations, riveting debates, and hearty laughs
The Washington Society was formed in Pavilion VII, now the Colonnade Club, in 1831 and re-founded in 1979. Our tradition is the continual exercise and development of effective speech.
For more on our history, click here .
Oratory has, in every age, exerted an influence on the political, social, and moral conditions of Nations. As governments have changed from despotic to republican, and as man has advanced in culture and civilization, this influence has become more important, until, in our age and country, its sway is almost omnipotent. Sensible, then, of the power which oratory possesses for good or evil, we have formed this association for the purpose of improving in this art, and we have called it the Washington Society, that its name, recalling the deeds of the “Illustrious Father of American Liberty,” may animate us with the desire of using the power here attained, for the good of our country, and the weal of our countrymen.
As we are thus associated in the pursuit of a common, noble object, it is our desire to also be closely united by the strong and lasting ties of friendship, and thus prove ourselves worthy of the noble sentiment our badges bear:
“Quam Fluctus Diversi, Quam Mare Conjuncti”